Friday, March 27, 2020

Alternative Tools in an Open Source World

I have known about Inkscape for years, but since I have always had a functioning version of Adobe Illustrator, I haven't bothered looking into it.

Through my (many, many) years of graphic design, I have had the opportunity to use a lot of illustration software. My first copy of Adobe Illustrator was version 2. It worked sluggishly on my first Mac LC. (anybody else remember that one?) The Mac LC was the cheapest color-capable Mac available at the time, and I was cheap, so it was a perfect choice. Other software I used over the years included, Macromedia Freehand and Corel Draw. Plus I drew things in Flash.

Previously I wrote about experimenting with Gimp while I stayed at home to avoid a virus. This time I used Inkscape. I was impressed with all the features available. I started by importing a line drawing and using the autotrace to convert it to vectors. That worked great, I was off to a good start. I then used layers to organize the colors. That also worked well but I wish there was a way to open each layer and see the sub-layers, like you can in Illustrator. There are a lot of filters available. I found the controls for those confusing, but I was able to find a helpful youtube video.

All in all, it was a successful experiment. My pc was pretty sluggish, but it did the job. Here is picture of a dog. As you can see, I have helpfully labeled it as a "dog."

A drawing of a dog

0 comments: